Dal is an integral part of Indian cooking and every household prepares it almost every day along with rice or chapati. Methi dal or fenugreek leaves dal is one super easy dish and it taste just superb. Its one of my favorite.Since the methi leaves are bitter in taste ,when you combine it with dal it get balanced and tastes yum.
- 1 cup Tuvar dal (Pigeon pea lentils)
- 1/2 cup Chopped fenugreek leaves
- 1 small chopped Tomato
- 1/2 onion chopped into small pieces
- 1-2 green chilly ,chopped
- 1 tspn coriander powder
- 1/2 tspn turmeric powder
- 1 tspn red chilly powder
- 2 1/2 cup water.
- 1/2 tspn Cumin seeds
- 1/2 tspn mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp oil.
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 lemon juice
- Pressure cook the washed dal in water till 3-4 whistle.
- In a Pan heat oil,add cumin seeds, mustard seeds then saute for few sec ,add onions & green chilly & saute till translucent .
- Add chopped tomatoes , turmeric powder ,coriander powder & chilly powder,mix well and fry in low flame till the tomatoes are mushy and starts leaving oil.
- Then add fenugreek leaves and cook for 2-3 min.
- Add the cooked dal, mix well & let it boil for 3-4 min.
- Turn off the stove and squeeze half lemon juice.
- Granish with chopped cilantro/coriander leaves. (optional)
- Serve with rice or chapati. Ting !!!
- You can add/subtract water as per your liking ,I like little thick dal.