Shakkarkand Ke Gulab Jamun , sounds interesting right 🙂 trust me it is , this recipe can never fail and you will love it. This is again one of the forgotten desserts. It reminds me of one of my aunt in Punjab who use to cook this. I love eating boiled sweet potatoes. Last evening I went to a grocery store and picked sweet potatoes. I so very much wanted to share this recipe with you guys 🙂 so what are we waiting ,lets learn and our colorful festival ” Holi” is nearby ,so why not make these cute little balls and serve to our loved ones.
- 1 boiled sweet potatoes (peeled & mashed)
- 2 tablespoon milk powder
- 1 & 1/2 tbsp Maida ( all purpose flour)
- A pinch of baking soda
- A pinch of cardamom powder
- 1/4 cup khoya
For sugar syrup
- 1 cup Sugar
- 2 cup water
- 2- cardamom
- few strands of saffron
- Heat ghee/oil in a kadai/yok.
- Nicely mash the sweet potato in a big plate.
- Add milk powder, Maida, baking soda & mix well ,mashing with your palm
- Now add cardamom powder and mix well again.
- Mash khoya well and add to the sweet potato mixture and mix again nicely with your palm mashing for about 2-3 min.
- Mix the sugar and water adding cardamom and cook stirring till you get one string consistency syrup.Add saffron and mix.
- Shape the sweet potato mixture into small balls ( jamuns).
- Switch off the heat and slide the jamuns into hot ghee.
- When the balls rise above the surface,turn the heat ON and fry them in low heat ,stirring continuosly,till golden brown.
- Now drain and soak the jamuns in sugar syrup for atleast 15 min.
- Serve the yummy jamuns.
Recipe by Chef Harpal Singh .