I have five nephews and they love eating small ,tiny stuff ,because they are kids, so its easier for them to have bite size food and its less messy as well. Give them there cute little spoon or fork and they will eat with so much of love. And if the food is SWEET its an add on. So today I made this dish for them,they are far far away from me but I hope their mamas will make them their masi’s/bua’s (aunt) recipe . This is my twist to the traditional dahi vadas, adding some sugar,cherries and lots of tamarind sweet chutney and voila you have a cute ,beautiful dish in your platter.By the time I drafted this I finished one glass eating 😛
- 1 cup Split Black gram,soaked
- 2 cups Yogurt ,Whisked
- 2 cups warm water or Butter Milk
- 1/4 tspn Asafoetida
- Black salt to taste + white salt to taste
- 1 tspn Roasted cumin Powder
- 1 tspn Red Chilli Powder
- 4 tbsp Sweet Tamarind chutney
- 4 tablespoon sugar
- Oil to deep fry
- Some cherries for garnishing
- Grind the urad dal using very less water and make a smooth paste.
- Now add black salt,regular salt and asafoetida and mix well with a spoon.
- In a separate bowl take the butter milk and add little salt or if you don’t have butter milk ,take warm water .
- Heat oil in a kadai/Pan,make sure oil should not very hot ,it should be moderately hot so that the vada’s can be cooked well from inside.
- Drop spoonful of batter to make bite size vadas ,fry vada’s till golden brown.
- Soak the vada’s in butter milk/warm water for about 5-7 min.
- In a separate bowl take curd ,add salt , sugar,cumin powder,red chilly powder ( taste and adjust the spices and sugar as per your taste) Kids love sweet taste.
- Take each vada ,squeeze between your palms and dip in the curd mixture.
- Serving : Pour the vadas in a wine glass or shot glass with some yogurt mixture , sprinkle some cumin powder & chilly powder ( careful..) ,drizzle lots of tamarind chutney, & garnish with cherry pieces.
- Serve and enjoy the smooth,soft and delicious tiny miny sweet dahi vadas ,I am sure your kids & guest will love the way you serve these small cuties 🙂
- They will eat the tiny vadas and drink the sweet yogurt mixture Ting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- BTW why should kids have all the FUN ..we can also enjoy 😉