Caramel custard or Caramel pudding is a custard dessert with a layer of soft caramel on top.The origin of the dish is either France or Spain.
- 250 ml milk
- 1/2 cup Caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup caster sugar for syrup
- 1 tspn Pure Vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- In a heavy saucepan add 1/4 cup castor sugar over medium heat & 1 tablespoon water into it.
- Bring the mixture to boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook until the sugar and water form a golden brown syrup, about 5 minutes. (This is called caramelization)
- Remove from heat and pour the syrups into 3 ramekins. ( or you can use any baking dish ) and keep aside for 5 min to let the syrup cool down.
- Now in a saucepan add 250 ml of milk over low heat; heat just until warm .
- In a separate bowl break 3 eggs ,add 1/2 cup sugar and whisk till all the sugar is dissolved, add vanilla extract and mix well.
- Now slowly pour the warm milk little by little and whisk ( since the milk is hot the eggs might get cooked so make sure you mix while you pour ).
- Now pour the egg-milk-sugar mixture equally into the 3 ramekins .
- Take a baking tray and keep the ramekins and pour some water on the tray to make a water bed.This will help the custard get cooked evenly from bottom as well.Water should be upto ⅓rd of the mould.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 25-30 minutes.
- Remove and let it cool for 10 min,refrigerate for 5-6 hrs before serving.
- To unmould , keep the serving dish or plate on top of the mould. Gently turn the serving down, so that the mould comes on top of the serving dish.
- Tap the mould gently,and allow the custard to unmould itself from the mould.
- If that doesnt help use a knife to detach the custard from the ramekins wall then unmould.
- The quantity above yields 3 caramel custard 🙂 by the time I am drafting this post 2 are already eaten ,so that’s why you see 1 in the pic ,its irresistible 🙂 Ting !!!!!!!!!!! Cook and let me know how it turned out 😉