Medu Vada ,the Indian doughnut 😉 is a savoury fritter-type snack from Southern region of India .The general way of preparing medu vada is to make a thick batter of Black gram (without skin ). This mixture may then be subsequently seasoned by mixing with cumin seeds, onion, curry leaves, salt, chilies, black pepper grains & coriander leaves.
- 1 cup Urad dal soaked for 2-3 hrs ( Black gram without skin )
- Vegetable Oil to deep fry
- 1 medium sized onion finely chopped
- 2-3 green chilly chopped
- 1 tspn coarsely pounded black pepper
- Freshly chopped Coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- Soak urad dal for 3 hours in water.
- Grind into a paste using as little water as possible,add salt to taste and mix well.
- Cover it keep aside for about 4-5 hours or even overnight if you are planning for breakfast.
- Beat the batter with a spoon for 3-4 min, this will help the batter becomes light and fluffy.
- Now add freshly chopped coriander leaves,finely chopped onion,chillies and coarsely pounded black pepper.
- Wet you hand and place a tablespoon of batter on the hand in the shape of a circle.
- Dip a wet finger in the middle to create the hole in the vada.
- Slide vada into hot oil using other hand slowly .
- Fry on medium high heat till golden.
- Serve hot with Sambhar & coconut chutney. Enjoy Ting !!!