Hot and sour vegetable soup contains ingredients to make it both spicy and sour.
- 1 small carrot, or ¼ cup grated carrots or chopped into small pieces ( My Vidalia chop wizard is my helper 😉 )
- 3 to 4 button mushrooms chopped into small pieces
- ¼ cup shredded cabbage
- ¼ cup finely chopped french beans
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green pepper (simla mirch)
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp finely chopped garlic( I grated them)
- 1 tsp finely chopped ginger( grated)
- 2 tsp finely chopped celery (optional)
- 2 tablespoon corn starch dissolved in 3 tbsp water
- 1 tspn red chili sauce
- ¾ tsp black pepper or white pepper
- 3 tsp soy sauce or add as required
- 2 tsp plain vinegar or add as required
- 2.5 cups water or veg stock
- 1 tbsp oil
- Salt as required
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan or wok/kadai.
- Add finely chopped onion, ginger and garlic. stir and saute on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Now add the vegetables one by one except the cabbage.
- Stir fry all the vegetables on a medium to high flame. for 2-3 min.
- Now add the soy sauce and mix well.
- Now add the water or veg stock and bring the soup to a boil on medium flame.
- Meanwhile make a paste of corn starch and water. keep aside.
- Once the Mixture comes to boil season with salt & add the chilli sauce ( keep a check on the amount of salt as soy sauce & chilly sauce already has a lot of salt).
- Add the shredded cabbage now and mix well.
- Stir the corn starch paste and add it to the soup. stir again very well.
- Allow the soup to thicken on a low to medium flame.
- When the soup has thickened, add black pepper or white pepper and vinegar.
- Stir again and check the taste and add more vinegar or salt or black pepper if required as per your taste.
- Serve the veg hot and sour soup steaming hot & enjoy ting !!!!!!!!!
Note : I like my soup little thick ,that way I can eat lots of veggies 😉 You can add little more veg stock or water to make it thin.
The above ingredients yields 6 small bowls of soup.