Rajma Masala is a popular Indian vegetarian dish consisting of red kidney beans in a thick gravy with lots of Indian whole spices and usually served with rice and roti. Although the kidney bean is not of Indian origin, it is a part of regular diet in Northern India. This dish developed after the red kidney bean was brought to the Indian subcontinent from Central Mexico and Guatemala.Being a popular dish, it is prepared on important occasions. About 100 grams of boiled Rajma beans contain 140 calories. 5.7 grams of protein, 9.0 grams of fat and nearly 17.8 grams of carbohydrate.
- 250 gm Rajma (kidney beans)
- 1 medium size Onion (purée)
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- 2 medium tomatoes (purée)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 black cardamom (badi ilachi )
- 1/2 tspn turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp coriander power
- 1 tbsp red chilly powder
- 1 tspn cumin powder
- 1 tspn garam masala
- 2-3 slited green chilly
- 3 tbsp oil
- Soak the rajma overnight or 5-6 hours before cooking.
- Pressure cook with little salt for 3-4 whistle till the rajma is soft .If needed you can cook again for 1-2 whistle.
- In a Pan heat oil , add bay leaves, and cardamom ,add the onion puree and cook for 5 min till it changes the colour.
- Now add garlic & ginger paste & cook for another 3-4 min .
- Now add tomato puree & cook for another 5 min.
- Now add the spices turmeric powder, Red chilly powder, Coriander powder, Cumin powder, and Garam masala Powder and cook till you see that the masala starts oozing oil in the corner.
- Add the rajma & 2 cup water ( you can use the water that was use to pressure cook rajma) and cook for another 7-8 min in low flame so that all the rajma can absorb the spices flaovour.
- Garnish with chopped Coriander.
- Serve with Rice /Chapati/Paratha.
- Enjoy the delicious rajma Ting !!!! 😉