Dill Leaves is a herb and is widely used to flavor many food such fish dishes,soups, as well as pickles (where the dill flower is sometimes used). Dill is best when used fresh as it loses its flavor rapidly if dried. I thought of using it in “Dal ” ( lentil soup) and trust me it came out really well. It was yummy with both rice & Chapati . You can also drink it as soup.So lets make the dill leaves dal.
- 1/2 cup Tuvar dal (Pigeon pea lentils)
- Chopped Dill leaves (Tender) – 2 cups
- 1 chopped Tomato
- 1-2 green chilly ,slited
- Salt to taste
- A generous pinch of Hing (Asafoetida)
- 1/2 tspn turmeric powder
- 2 cup water.
- For tempering
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 3-4 chopped garlic
- 1/2 tspn Cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp oil.
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Pressure cook the washed dal, dill leaves,chopped tomatoes,green chilly with salt to taste,turmeric powder & asafoetida.
- In a Pan heat oil,add cumin seeds, then garlic ,saute for a min ,add onion & saute till translucent .
- Add the cooked dal, mix well & let it boil for 3-4 min. Granish with chopped cilantro/coriander leaves.
- Serve with rice or chapati. I enjoyed it with chapati 🙂 Ting !!!