Chole Masala also known as Chana masala is a popular Punjabi dish in Indian cuisine . The main ingredient is chickpeas . It is spicy with a sour citrus note. Lets begin the chole recipe journey 😉
- 250 gms White cheakpeas/Kabuli Chana
- 1 big onion Chopped
- 1 inch ginger
- 7-8 pod of garlic
- 1 big tomato (purée)
- 1 small tomato chopped
- 1 cup water
- Chopped Cilantro for garnishing
- 2 small bay leaves
- 2 cloves
- 1 cinnamon
- 2 cardamom
- 1/2 tspn turmeric powder
- 1 tspn Red chilly powder
- 1 tspn Coriander powder
- 1 tspn Cumin powder
- 1/2 tspn Black pepper powder
- 1 tspn Garam masala Powder
- 1/2 tspn Aamchur Powder
- 3 tbpn Oil (vegetable)
- Soak the cheakpeas overnight or 5-6 hours before cooking.
- Pressure cook with little salt for 3-4 whistle till the cheak peas are soft ( Check by pressing one chole between your finger tips).If needed you can cook again for 1-2 whistle.
- Add onion,garlic & ginger & make a puree in blender.
- In a Pan heat oil , add bay leaves, cloves,cinnamon and cardamom ,add the puree and cook nicely for 5-7 min till it changes the colour.
- Now add the spices turmeric powder, Red chilly powder, Coriander powder, Cumin powder, Black pepper powder and Garam masala Powder and cook till you see that the masala starts oozing oil in the corner.
- Now add the tomato puree & chopped tomatoes and cook the masala for nice 7-8 min .
- Add the cheak peas now and cook for another 7-8 min in low flame so that all the cheak peas can absorb the spices flaovour.
- Add amchur powder & cook for a min.
- Add water and boil it for 5 min. You can pressure cook again for 2 whistle if you think the cheakpeas are not soft enough.
- Garnish with chopped Coriander.
- Serve with Rice /Chapati/Paratha/Puri 🙂