Dal Makhani is one of the most popular Punjabi recipe.Its called as Dal Makhani as it is made with Dal/Lentils – Whole Black Lentils and Red Kidney Bean and and Makhan (White Butter) full fat cream. This dish is rich in calories. Due to the use of all these ingredients Dal Makhani becomes creamy.The dish differs from other popular Punjabi dal dishes, such as dal tadka.
The traditional preparation of dal makhani involves a series of time-consuming procedures, which can take up to 24 hours to complete. However, with the availability of modern cooking equipment, including pressure cooker, the preparation time of the dish has reduced significantly to few hours.
- 1 cup kali urad dal (Black gram with skin)
- 1/4 cup chana dal (Bengal gram)
- 1/6 cup Rajma (Red Kidney Beans)
- For Tempering
- 2 tbspn ghee ( you can use butter or veg oil too)
- 1/2 tspn cumin seeds
- 8 cloves of garlic ( finely Chopped )
- 1 1/ 2 inch ginger (finely chopped)
- 2-3 green chilly ( finely chopped)
- 1 large nice onion chopped
- 1 big tomato finely chopped
- 1 tbpn kashmiri chilly powder
- 1/2 tbsn garam masala
- Pinch of haldi
- Salt to taste
- 1 tspn kasoori methi
- 1 tspn coriander powder
- Cream to garnish
- Soak all the dal overnight ,or in warm water for 4-5 hours.
- Pressure cook the dal with little grated ginger and salt with 4 cups of water for some 10-11 whistles. Open and check if the lentils are cooked.
- Mash the dal with a spoon or with your fingers to check if they are cooked. If they are not cooked thoroughly, then pressure cook for 2-3 whistles more. Add water if required.
- Take 4-5 tablespoon cooked dal and grind it to make a fine paste, keep aside ( we will add this to our dal later while tempering to make the dal thick like resturants 🙂 )
- The tempering is the most important aspect here.
- Heat ghee in a pan,add cumin seeds, then garlic & ginger, fry for 1-2 min, add onion and fry till onions are translucent.
- Add all the spices now and tomatoes, cook till the masala leaves oil.
- Add the dal along with the paste and let it simmer for 10 min in low flame. Keep stirring in between to make sure the dal is not getting burnt.
- Add 2 tbspn cream and again let it simmer for 5 more min.
- Garnish with cream,and serve hot. 🙂