Drumsticks also known as Sehjan falli it is used into a variety of curry dishes by mixing with coconut, poppy seeds, and mustard or boiled until the drumsticks are semisoft and consumed directly without any extra processing or cooking. It is used in curries, sambars, kormas, and dals, although it is also used to add flavor to cutlets and other recipes. Here is my way of cooking it,this is my mom’s recipe. some people cook this with curd and also poppy seeds.
- Few sticks of drumstick
- 2-3 medium sized potato,peeled and chopped into small pieces
- 1/2 cup peas (optional)
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon black Mustard
- 2 medium sized tomatoes
- 2 tablespoon Oil ( I some time used Mustard oil to cook as it gives a distinct flavour)
- 8-9 garlic pods
- 1/2 tspn turmeric powder
- 1/2 red chilly powder
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tspn Pachphoran
- 1 cup water
- Fresh Cilantro
- Cut drumsticks into small pieces and peel off the green layer using a knife gently.
- Mix tomatoes,garlic and the mustard seeds (both) in a grinder and make a smooth paste.
- Heat oil in a pan or kadai, put the pachphoran, When they begin to crackle put the paste and fry for 3-4 min in high flame.
- Add all the masala and cook in low flame for 5-10 min till it leaves oil.
- Now add the drumsticks,potatoes & peas and cook for another 7-8 min in low flame so that the vegetable can soak the flavours of the spices.
- Pour water and boil for 5 min ,garnish with fresh Cilantro.
- Panch phoran , is a whole spice blend,All the five spices in panch phoron are seeds.Typically, panch phoron consists of fenugreek seed, Kala jeera (Mangrela), cumin seed, black mustard seed and fennel seed in equal parts.Unlike most spice mixes, panch phoron is always used whole and never ground. Traditionally, panch phoron is used with vegetables, chicken or fish, lentils, and in pickles.