Sandesh ( Shondesh) is a Bengali dessert created with milk and sugar.Some recipes of Sandesh call for the use of chhena (cheese) or paneer instead of milk.Some people in the region of Dhaka call it Pranahara (literally, heart ‘stealer’) which is a softer kind of sandesh, made with mawa and the essence of curd.
Recipe source : Anita Mokashi (cravecookclick.com)
- 1 liter full cream milk
- ½ cup curd
- ¾ cup mango pulp (peel, chop, puree the mango and strain the pulp)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- Boil the milk in a pan.
- Add curd and stir till the milk curdles.
- Put the curdled milk in the muslin cloth and squeeze out excess water. Hang the muslin bag for fifteen minutes. The cottage cheese is ready for use.
- Transfer cottage cheese to a plate. Mash it well. Knead it with the heel of your palm till it becomes smooth.
- Take mango pulp in a thick bottomed steel wok. Add sugar. When sugar dissolves, add mashed cottage cheese. Mix well.
- Cook on low flame stirring continuously.
- Mixture starts turning thick. After about 10 to 15 minutes, it begins to move like a big lump when stirred. Turn off the heat.
- Let the mixture cool. Or else refrigerate it for 15 minutes.
- Shape into small balls, Add mango pulp in centre.