Kadhi is a blend of yogurt and besan (gram flour) with besan pakoras(Generally) . This dish is popular throughout India.There are different versions of kadi through out India.Being a Punjabi i just love kadi-chawal.I make kadi using many different stuff like papad,peas,potato,moong dal pakoda & chila. Today I will tell you how to make chila kadi which goes really well with chapati or rice & some side sabzi like bhindi fry or jeera aloo.Its very easy and tasty. Lets begin 😉
Ingredients for chila :
- 1/2 cup besan (chickpea flour)
- 1/4 tsp jeera (cumin seeds)
- 1/2 tsp chilly powder
- Enough water to make the batter
- Salt to taste
- Little chopped fresh cilantro/Coriander
For the Kadhi
- 1 cup plain whole milk yogurt, slightly sour
- 2-3 tbsp besan (chickpea flour)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder (adjust to tolerance)
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp crushed kasuri methi, (dried fenugreek leaves, give a great flavor but can be skipped if not available)
- 2.5 – 3 cups water
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- Generous pinch of hing powder
- Salt to taste
Making the Chilla
- In a bowl, mix up all the ingredients of chilla & make a batter ( it should not be very thin or thick)
- In a tawa put little oil & spread this mixture to make a round dosa.
- Shallow fry in low flame ,turning both the sides & cut into 12 pieces with a knife.
- Your chilla is ready 🙂
Making the Kadhi
- In a bowl, combine besan, yogurt, and water to make a lump free smooth mix. Let stand.
- In a heavy bottomed pot, heat oil ,add hing, cumin, turmeric, chilly and coriander powder.
- Add the besan-yogurt mixture and mix thoroughly. Return to medium heat and let the kadhi come to a boil.
- Add the Chilla and let simmer for about 5-8 minutes. Add chopped coriander.
- For Garnish (optional)
- In a small saucepan, warm up the ghee and add cumin seeds to it, when they splutter, take away from the heat and add sliced green chillies.
- Top up the chilla-kadhi with this cumin ghee just before serving along side rotis or steamed rice.
Hope you enjoyed the recipe 🙂
There are different ways you can make the kadhi tadka,you can use chopped onion,garlic,fenugreek seeds,Curry leaves, dry red chillies. The above process was quick & easy as all the masala is always available at home all the time.When you have time use a different tadka & enjoy the mouthwatering flavours. Ting!!!!!:-)